Do you also hate it when you shave or wax, getting rid of unwanted hair and enjoying your smooth skin, only for the hair to start growing back sooner than you would want? It can be quite taxing to go through the same routine again and again. With laser hair removal, you don’t have to worry about that anymore since it helps eliminate body hair on a long-term basis. But many people ask, does laser hair removal hurt? Read this blog to know the answer!
Is Laser Hair Removal Painful?
Laser hair removal involves targeting hair follicles with the help of small high-heat beams of the laser. Although laser hair removal is not painful, you still might experience a sensation similar to a rubber band being snapped on your skin. Moreover, slight discomfort occurs after the procedure. Therefore, while the laser hair treatment might not hurt, you will notice redness and irritation afterward.
Laser Hair Removal on Different Locations: Where Does it Hurt?
While the discomfort is mild, it might be felt more in some areas as compared to others. Hence, below, you can find where laser removal is the most painful:
- Legs: Your legs have thicker skin in comparison to the bikini line or other sensitive areas, which means laser hair removal does not cause much pain in the legs. However, your inner thighs might hurt a little as compared to the shins.
- Arms & Underarms: The skin on your underarms is pretty thin. Hence, it is among the most painful areas while undergoing laser hair removal. On your arms, though, you will feel less pain.
- Face: Your face, too, has different areas — some of which will hurt more than others. So if your upper lip is undergoing laser hair removal, it will hurt slightly more than the other areas. Your cheeks and forehead, for instance, are going to have mild pain.
- Bikini Line: Your bikini line is a sensitive area; therefore, laser hair removal is going to cause some pain down there. The procedure might feel like waxing, except that it takes longer. But a little discomfort is worth the results of laser hair removal!
- Back or Stomach: You don’t have to fret about laser hair removal hurting the stomach because the thick skin prevents pain. Your back, nonetheless, might hurt as much as the bikini line and underarms do during the laser treatment.
After the Session: How Do You Feel?
Since laser hair removal heats up your hair follicles, it prevents the growth of hair. After the procedure, the treated area might turn red, similar to how a mild sunburn feels. Nevertheless, the symptoms and discomfort will disappear within the next 24 hours. Your dermatologist might tell you to follow these care instructions:
- Avoiding the sun since your skin is sensitive to UV rays
- If you have to step out in the sun, cover the treated skin with clothing and use sunscreen.
- Exfoliate the area which was treated to ensure ingrown hairs do not appear.
Opting for laser hair removal can be quite beneficial for you, aside from the improved self-confidence it provides you from the painful waxing or shaving sessions. At Care Dermatology, we can help bring your dream skin to life. Give us a ring at: